Monday, December 17, 2012

Snorelax and Being Right Brained

Meet Snorelax.  He's cute, isn't he?  Snorelax is a puffy cuddly creature from the Pokeman game and anime series.  The reason for his name is obvious if you have ever seen the cartoon or played the games.  He literally sleeps all of the time and makes such a racket when he does.  There are times, however, that I know that Snorelax lives at my house.  Not that I don't enjoy those frequent serenades of long drawn out nasal symphonies from my husband (love you, honey) and our 12 year old dog, but they do make it difficult to sleep sometimes.  If they could just get the timing perfected for the chortling, gurgling and log sawing, I would sleep better.  The worst part, though, is when they stop, and even then, the silence alarms me and I want to make sure they are both still breathing.  I'm sure you've been there before, too.  My dark circles have dark circles and some days, there isn't enough concealer to make a difference.  Oh well!

Desperately seeking sleep on this cozy rainy Monday, and now my brain with no off switch has taken over and the mere fact that my head knows it's daytime outside, is blocking me from closing my eyes getting that one extra hour or sleeping.  I've got all of the right props, cuddly pillow, warm blanket, Christmas tree lights are on and the couch swallows me as I curl up, cover up and close my eyes...well, at least for about 30 seconds.  Stop it brain, eyes stay closed.  PLEASE!  No good, eyes pop open and I lay there for just a few more minutes continually trying to convince my brain to chill out.  Brain wins, I'm up.  Time to be productive.  

How did we do it when we were kids?  Were we good at taking naps then?  I'm not sure I ever was.  I can even still remember pretending to be sleeping when my parents would creep into my room to check on me, but that brain always seemed to be working overtime, those eyes would always pop open.  So, nothing has changed..  I guess I will never medal in the sleep Olympics.

I guess the reason my brain never chills out, is because I am dominantly right brained.  That amazing hunk of sponge with all its little capillaries and zones and lobes has to always be doing something, making something, designing something.  Seriously, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it decided to rest once in awhile, but it always has to be a real spitfire and go go go all the time.  From grocery lists to poetry to decoupage to floral arrangements, it's no wonder I'm exhausted when I get up every morning.  Good grief, I've put in a 24 hour day before I ever get out of bed!

I'm being fussy, and I know I shouldn't be.  God made me the way I am and for a multitude of His reasons.  He blessed me with the ability to design, to bring things from paper to reality, to be a problem solver and an advocate.  But what I cherish the most, is that He gave me a tender heart and arms to give hugs and hold someone tight when they need it.  He gave me emotions that allow me to cry not just when I'm sad or  happy, but when something is so beautiful that anything other than tears just doesn't seem appropriate.  He gave me the gift of love, determination, expression and so many, many more.  

Here I am on a rainy Monday morning, getting ready to tackle my day.  News reports are still heart wrenching with the coverage of the school massacre last Friday.  Knowing that 20 innocent little lives and those of  7 heroic adults were taken senselessly, leaves us all feeling numb and asking why.  Knowing that Heaven is blessed with the laughter and sweet spirits of 20 more children as the play and sing with Jesus, gives me comfort.  I can't even begin to imagine the heartache of their families and friends.  My prayers are with them all.  

Christmas is a time to rejoice in the birth of a King.  It's a time to share with family and friends, to give and give some more.  It's a time to remember old memories and make new ones.  It's a time to love and look beyond anger.  It's a time to be thankful.  If we can do all of these things during the celebration of Christmas, why can't we do them all the time?  Why?

1 Peter 5:14 "Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace [be] with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen."

Double amen.

Thank you God for this beautiful rainy day.  Thank you for the many gifts you've given, including snoring and sleepless nights and a brain that never stops.  But mostly, God, thank you for my family and friends and the gift of Your Son, Jesus.  Amen

Do me a favor today, please go splash in a puddle and be a kid at heart for just a little while.  God may have put that puddle there just for you.  I pray for your travel mercies, health and well being and that peace and charity maybe radiate from you and be shared with everyone you meet.  Touch a life, share a hug, offer Jesus to someone through what you do and say.

God bless and Merry Christmas!
K